About Linda Deutsch
The LA Times released an article today (below) written by long-time distinguished and reputable nationwide Reporter and trial expert, Linda Deutsch. Her decades-long tenure as an Associated Press courts reporter made her a witness to some of the most high-profile trials in U.S. history from OJ Simpson to Michael Jackson and countless others both famous and infamous.
But it all started in 1970 when she was assigned to what would be considered to date as one of the most sensational trials ever, the Charles Manson and family murder trial. Linda Deutsch had a front row seat throughout the trial including when Manson tried to lunge at the judge with a pencil. Over the decades, attorneys and witness’s that she has worked around have always described her as "extremely ethical and professional and very honest" High-profile defense attorney Thomas Mesereau, who successfully defended Michael Jackson and actor Robert Blake said “If she tells you something is off the record you can bet your life that it is. She also has a great belief in the importance of her profession as an honorable, valuable institution in society.”
Judge William C. Ryan concurred with the District Attorney's office that to release the tapes over to Van Houten and her attorney would go against the penal code limits discovery to only cases with sentences of life without parole or death. Rich Pfieffer, Van Houten's attorney says the exception to the penal code is if it is exculpatory evidence, something he remains adamant about the tapes.
But the Judge Ryan stated, "Even if Van Houten was entitled to the Tex Tapes, “Releasing the tape transcript would add nothing to the record that is not already well know"
"The first 77 pages, there are eight references to a “Leslie,” all made in passing as to who was present at certain events. Watson does talk about in several places how Charles Manson had a powerful influence over him and other members of the Manson family, but that information is also very well know, and to which Van Houten can testify,” Ryan admits.
But Pfeiffer contends that is the very reason the tapes are needed to validate Van Houten's "testimony" about Manson's control without being accused to minimizing her crime.
IF NOTHING NEW, AND NOTHING OLD, WHY REMAIN SO SECRETIVE?
Ryan’s ruling also disputed Deputy District Attorney Donna Lebowitz claims that releasing the tapes would compromise ongoing investigations. But Detective Ryan, of the LAPD stated that is inaccurate as there are no investigations.
We are requesting for everyone to go ahead and send letters of support to Governor Jerry Brown.
State of California, Governor Jerry Brown
Support letter- for Leslie Van Houten, CIW, CDC# W13378
c/o State Capitol Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
Earlier today Leslie Van Houten was granted parole by a California state parole board. The decision will undergo a 120-day review from the BPH, then will go to Governor Jerry Brown who will have until February 3, 2018 to either confirm, reverse or modify the parole grant.
More updates, as well as today's Parole Hearing Transcript will be available here soon.
Parole Suitability examples
Current and Ongoing programs Leslie is involved in:
• Leslie has participated and facilitated in a number of rehabilitative programs throughout her decades of incarceration. In the past year, her focus has been on, among other things, her community within the prison. (Helping others; being productive; etc)
• Leslie is currently an 'Executive Member of the Advisory Council' Almost a year ago, Leslie was offered this position (Something like a city council member) she has found it to be a rewarding and insightful opportunity to be part of the process of addressing what to do to begin moving forward with programs that offer both rehabilitation and a greater sense of being a part of a community.
• Works directly with a senior psychologist
• Helps facilitate programs for suicide prevention;
• Participates in the Actors' Gang Prison Project that has been at the facility (CIW) several years. This program has little to do with acting and everything to do with accessing emotions;
• Facilitating and participating in the Restorative Justice Victim/ Offender program which focuses on accountability of the offender' actions and responsibility for the suffering it caused;
• Assists with a new program for women who are stuck in addiction and violence. This program is designed to help them gain awareness of choices and offer a more productive lifestyle.
Leslie continues to work as a tutor for the Chaffey Community College. (approx 100 women) Half of the students are participating in a certificate program and the others are working on their associate degrees.
SOME KEY PAROLE SUITABILITY FACTORS DEFINED BY CALIFORNIA LAW
Psych Evaluations (No risk to society), Rehabilitation, Accomplishments, Consistent and Exemplary Behavior
• Leslie received another positive psych evaluation for the hearing this year. That totals about 18 doctors and experts over the years and each and every one unanimously have submitted that Leslie is not a danger to society and recommends parole.
• By Law, Leslie's crime offense qualifies her as a Youthful Offender Leslie was age 19 at the time of her crime. The law now requires her age at the time be given "great weight' on the decision to parole.
By Law, the court must accept all Franklin hearing testimony as true court findings and mitigating evidence.
• By Law, Leslie's current age qualifies her for "Senior Parole Advancement" A newer parole rule designed for prisoners over age 60 who have served 25 years or more than their sentence, should be given great weight on the decision to parole.
Leslie is grateful for her supporters and for the concern and care as she seeks her release. Please share with all your fair minded friends about support.
Attorney Rich Pfeiffer in the blue, then Detective Jenks who has the Tex Tapes (and hasn’t given them up) and DA Liebowitz on the end. In the back is Debra Tate.
CASE UPDATES AND INFO
-Trial of the Century
-Susan Atkins-Patricia Krenwinkel
-Parole Transcripts 1985-2017
Franklin Hearing transcript 2017
-Tex Watson Tapes
-Criteria Parole Suitability
-Rich Pfeiffer's letter to the DA
-Parole Reversed 2016
THIS WEBSITE IS CURRENTLY BEING RESTRUCTURED AND UPDATED; SOME PAGES MAY BE TEMPORAIRLY DISABLED THROUGH JANUARY 2018